|Location:||Ohrid, North Macedonia|
|Application Deadline:||15 December 2018|
Ohrid – City of Light…..A treasure among mountains
– Ohrid has been a living town for two thousand and four hundred years, the legitimate descendant of the shining Lychida, a town whose achievements were woven into the tapestry of a powerful ancient civilization. The town of Ohrid is indeed the cultural history of the Republic of Macedonia in miniature.
– This city has a history of continuous human community life of 7000 years and is one of the oldest cities in the world, together with Jerusalem, Rome and Istanbul today. Ohrid is located at an attitude of 695 meters and and is the biggest city on the shore of Lake Ohrid.
– In this old city you can find places, objects and churches dating back from prehistory, antiquity, early Christianity, Middle Ages, Islam…etc. Ohrid is the seat of the Macedonian Orthodox Church, (there are 365 churches in Ohrid and its region, one church for each day) a religious institution that was among the first who brought Christianity to Europe.
– Even though, throughout the centuries Ohrid was enslaved, destroyed by human hand and natural disasters, it becomes one of the most beautiful cities in Macedonia and Europe.
– As an Episcopal center in ancient times, and likewise through the widely renowned Ohrid archbishopric, the town has likewise through the centuries represented the entire ecclesiastical history of Macedonia.
It bears the name “The Balkan Jerusalem”.
– Trough the activity of St. Clement of Ohrid, at the end of 9th and the beginning of the 10th century the first pan – Slavonic university in Europe was situated here. Ohrid was the most important official capital of the first mediaeval Macedonian state, of Samuel’s empire.
– Ohrid is a literary center of Macedonia in the 19th century with the strong maxim of one of the greatest European intellectuals of that time, the native from Ohrid, Grigor Prlichev, so called “The Second Homer”: PERFECTION OR DEATH!
– Today Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist center of Republic of Macedonia. It has about 45,000 inhabitants. The Old part of the city represents the history of Ohrid and the new part of the city represents the modern era, fulfilled with exiting night life and sandy beaches. And finally, as the crowning glory of its values, Ohrid and the Lake of Ohrid were declared a cultural and natural heritage site under protection of UNESCO since 1980!”
Nowadays, Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist centre. During this period there are a lot of tourists from Holland, Finland, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Serbia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Turkey …Due to exceptional beauty and culture heritage Ohrid Lake and Ohrid city is protected by UNECO. Ohrid Lake is located in the extreme southwestern part of the Republic of Macedonia. This lake is one of the oldest tectonic lakes on the planet (it is about 3 million years old), along with The Baikal Lake in Russia, Tanganyika and Malawi in Africa and Titicaca in South America. It is one of those rare preserved ancient lakes in Europe.
Ohrid Lake is one of the largest and most important natural heritages in the world. The unique and endemic flora and fauna with many relic living forms make the lake rare but real natural “museum of living fossils”. There are a lot of hotels, apartments, a lot of traditional restaurants and café, shops, entertainment. Ohrid&Struga during the summer period lives 24 hours. Ohrid lake coast is 35km with beautifully sands beach, tourist attractions and entertainment. Temperature of the water in the lake is 25C degree and it is suitable for swimming, diving, yachting …..
Ohrid is one of the oldest settlements in Macedonia. According to famous television game show “who wants to be a millionaire “ in 2007 on British Television ,Ohrid is declared as the oldest city in the world, with continuous civilization advancement! Indeed, according to many historians, Lychnidos-the city of light (the ancient name of Ohrid ) was build in the 4th century B.C, but humans have lived there for more than 8.000 years. Here in Ohrid, from its beginning until today, life still goes on, without ending.That is why it‘s also called “the kingdom of archaeologists”.
However, Ohrid is the only place in the world where 2 recognized saints actually lived in the same time – St. Clement of Ohrid (840-916) and St.Naum of Ohrid (830-910), putting an extremely strong stamp of their existence.
These 2 exceptional persons, the best students of Cyril and Methodius, were in fact the most educated persons in the world in their time. Among other achievements, they will always be remembered as establishers of the first University in Europe (893), located in Ohrid Old Town, long before the University in Bologna (1088)! Besides that, St. Clement and St.Naum of Ohrid were founders of the Cyrillic Alphabet. As a result of their creativity and incredible work, today more then 200 million people still use this alphabet, mostly in Southeast and Eastern Europe.
Ancient ruins, beautiful amphitheatre, 3 citadel walls, St.Sofia Cathedral, St.Jovan Kaneo church, St.Naum monaster (one of the most beautiful monasteries in Macedonia and an important pilgrimage place. Breathtaking setting on a plateau over Ohrid Lake and Galicica mountain towering from behind. It was founded in the 910 by St.Naum, but the present-day church was built in the 16th c. Of the original church just the side chapel with the grave of St.Naum still stands), gallery of exclusive icons, museums, workshops for hand-made paper, woodcarving and famous Ohrid pearls, are among hundreds sites for tourists worth to visit.. More information on www.ohridinfo.mk www.ohrid.com.mk
The Cultural Art Society “Braid” from Ohrid is the organizer of The International Folklore Festival ” Sv. Jovan” which will be held in Ohrid- Macedonia.
PURPOSE OF THE FESTIVAL:
The main purpose of the festival is bringing different cultures closer, through dances, music and interesting national costumes. The main idea of the organizers is to bring in Ohrid and to the festival a variety of folk dances and national art groups from all around the world, so that the participants will have a possibility to meet new people, make new friendship relationships and also see the beauties of our town Ohrid and the Ohrid lake, which are under the protection of UNESKO. The idea of the festival is to develop new forms of communication in the international dialogue and international cooperation in the future. VIDEOS: http://youtu.be/qZ92wk9jr9Y http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2DPT93VJ4
– Folklore groups, orchesters, choirs and majorete groups from all over the world
– The number of the participants is not limited.
– No age limits
– Free parking during the festival time.
– Provided practical gifts and Diploma for participation in the festival.
– Organization of the performances of the participants and the defile.
– Organizators are providing free touristic guides for all exursions
– For group of 20 people you will have 1 free-gratis
63 euro per person for 3 nights half board accommodation ( breakfast and dinner)
83 euro per person for 4 nights half board accommodation ( breakfast and dinner)
69 euro per person for 3 nights half board accommodation ( breakfast and dinner) 89 euro per person for 4 nights half board accommodation ( breakfast and dinner)
• Hotel“Cingo” (4 stars) (55 beds)
• Hotel “Mizo” (4 stars) (120 beds)
• Hotel “Ambasador” (3 stars) (70 beds)
• Hotel “Montenegrin” (3 stars) (80 beds) • Hotel “Makoteks” (3 stars ) (70 beds)
• Villa ” Lovec” (2 stars) (50 beds)
OBLIGATIONS OF THE PARTICIPANTS:
Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the groups. First Aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.
ADVERTISING OF THE FESTIVAL:
All festival events will be presented in the press, on radio channels, as well as on local television programs, on flyers and posters
11.00 – 14.00 Arriving in Ohrid, hotel accommodation
14.00 – 16.00 Lunch in Hotel and free activities
19.00 – 21.00 Dinner in Hotel
21.00 – Free night
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the Hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Ohrid sightseeing – cultural and historical monument
( Samoil fortress, Antique theatre, Plaosnik, St. Caneo church…)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch in the Hotel and free activities
19.00-20.00 Dinner in the hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the Hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Struga sightseeing – visiting ciltural and historical monuments ( river Crn Drim, House of the brothers Miladinovci, St. Kalista church, Vevchani – Vevchanski water sources)
14.00-15.00 Lunch in the Hotel
17.00-20.00 Festival evening (performance of the participant’s, certificate for the participants by the organizers, and participants can exchange gifts and contacts with each other.
21.00 Diner in the Hotel
23.00 – 02.00 Disco party
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
10.00-14.00 Viziting the Museum of water and Biljanini Springs
14.00-15.00 Launch in the hotel
20.00 – 20.30 Dinner in the Hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the Hotel
12.00 – Departure of the participants
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Tel/Fax: +389 46 551 041
Mob: +389 78 262 516
Director: Mr. Jovan Jonoski