International Children Folklore Festival “Ohrid Pearl”
|Date:||28.07.2016 – 01.08.2016|
|Application Deadline:||28 July 2016|
Ohrid – City of Light….. A treasure among mountains…..
OHRID, an immortal town, on the mythical Balkans, a magical hill of Macedonia whose primordial pulsation links ancient and modern times forever, because:
– Ohrid has been a living town for two thousand and four hundred years, as the legitimate descendant of the shining Lychida, it is a town whose achievements were woven into the tapestry of a powerful ancient civilization. The town of Ohrid is indeed the cultural history of the Republic of Macedonia in miniature.
– This city has a history of continuous human community life of 7000 years and is one of the oldest cities in the world, together with Jerusalem, Rome and Istanbul today. Ohrid is located at an altitude of 695 meters and and is the biggest city on the shore of Lake Ohrid.
– In this old city you can find places, objects and churches dating back from prehistory, antiquity, early Christianity, Middle Ages, Islam…etc. Ohrid is the seat of the Macedonian Orthodox Church, (there are 365 churches in Ohrid and its region, one church for each day) a religious institution that was among the first who brought Christianity to Europe.
– Even though, throughout the centuries Ohrid was enslaved, destroyed by human hand and natural disasters, it becomes one of the most beautiful cities in Macedonia and Europe.
– As an Episcopal center in ancient times, and likewise through the widely renowned Ohrid archbishopric, the town has likewise through the centuries represented the entire ecclesiastical history of Macedonia.
It bears the name “The Balkan Jerusalem”.
– Trough the activity of St. Clement of Ohrid, at the end of 9th and the beginning of the 10th century the first pan – Slavonic university in Europe was situated here. Ohrid was the most important official capital of the first medieval Macedonian state, of Samuel’s empire.
Nowadays, Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist center. During this period there are a lot of tourists from Holland, Finland, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Serbia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Turkey … Due to its exceptional beauty and culture heritage Ohrid Lake and Ohrid city are protected by UNECO. Ohrid Lake is located in the extreme southwestern part of the Republic of Macedonia. This lake is one of the oldest tectonic lakes on the planet (it is about 3 million years old), along with The Baikal Lake in Russia, Tanganyika and Malawi in Africa and Titicaca in South America. It is one of those rare preserved ancient lakes in Europe.
Ohrid Lake is one of the largest and most important natural heritages in the world. The unique and endemic flora and fauna with many relic living forms make the lake rare but real natural “museum of living fossils”. There are a lot of hotels, apartments, a lot of traditional restaurants and café, shops, entertainment. Ohrid & Struga during the summer period live for 24 hours a day. Ohrid lake coast is 35km with beautiful sandy beaches, tourist attractions and entertainment. The temperature of the water in the lake is 25C degree and it is suitable for swimming, diving, yachting …..
Ohrid is one of the oldest settlements in Macedonia. According to the famous television game show “Who Wants to be a Millionaire “ in 2007 on a British Television, Ohrid has been declared the oldest city in the world, with continuous civilization advancement! Indeed, according to many historians, Lychnidos -the city of light (the ancient name of Ohrid) was build in the 4th century B.C., but humans have lived there for more than 8.000 years. Here in Ohrid, from its beginning until today, life still goes on, without ending. That is why it is also called “the kingdom of archaeologists”. However, Ohrid is the only place in the world where 2 recognized saints actually lived in the same time
– St. Clement of Ohrid (840-916) and St. Naum of Ohrid (830-910), putting an extremely strong stamp of their existence.
These 2 exceptional persons, the best students of Cyril and Methodius, were in fact the most educated persons in the world in their time. Among other achievements, they will always be remembered as establishers of the first University in Europe (893), located in Ohrid Old Town, long before the University in Bologna (1088)! Besides that, St. Clement and St.Naum of Ohrid were founders of the Cyrillic Alphabet. As a result of their creativity and incredible work, today more then 200 million people still use this alphabet, mostly in Southeast and Eastern Europe.
Ancient ruins, beautiful amphitheater, 3 citadel walls, St.Sofia Cathedral, St. Jovan Kaneo church, St.Naum monastery (one of the most beautiful monasteries in Macedonia and an important pilgrimage place. Breathtaking setting on a plateau over Ohrid Lake and Galicica mountain towering from behind. It was founded in 910 by St.Naum, but the present-day church was built in the 16th c. Of the original church just the side chapel with the grave of St.Naum still stands), gallery of exclusive icons, museums, workshops for hand-made paper, woodcarving and famous Ohrid pearls, are among hundreds sites for tourists worth to visit.. More information on www.ohridinfo.mk www.ohrid.com.mk
The Cultural Art Society “OHRIGJANKA” from Ohrid, in collaboration with International Folklore Festivals Ohrid Macedonia (IFFOM), is the organizer of the Children’s International Folklore Festival “OHRID PEARL”, which will be held in the city of Ohrid, in cooperation with the Center of Culture “Grigor Prlicev”- Ohrid.
The festival is international and ensembles from all around the world can take part in it. The main purpose of the festival is to bring different cultures closer, through dances, music and interesting national costumes. The participants will have a possibility to meet new people, make new friendship relationships and also see the beauties of our town Ohrid and the Ohrid lake, which are under the protection of UNESKO. The idea of the festival is to develop new forms of communication in the international dialogue and international cooperation in the future. www.ohrid.com.mk www.ohrid.gov.mk
– The number of the participants is not limited.
– The age of the participants is not limited
– Groups should prepare at least one performance with the duration of 15-20 minutes, or 2 performances, 10-12 minutes each, on playback or with instruments
– To bring a flag of the country, and also to send some pictures of the group along with the application.
– Groups should arrive and also departure with their own transport which they will use until the festival ends.
– The festival is competitive and groups pay 100 euros for the ranking (non-obligatory)
FESTIVAL ORGANIZERS PROVIDE:
– At every 25th participant there is 1 gratis, at every 50-th, there are 2 gratis
– Free parking during the festival time.
– Appropriate gifts for the participants and diplomas for participation in the Festival
– Tourist guide with a license for the sightseeing of the city Ohrid, traveling to St. Naum by boat and also visiting Struga city and Vevchani.
– Advertising of the festival (press conference, radio, TV channels, posters and flyers)
– After the festival finishes, organizers will send you a DVD of the festival program for each group
– We have our own internet television and the web site is www.iffom.com
– We have our own stage where performances take place.
Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the groups. First aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.
ACCOMMODATION AND PARTICIPATION FOR THE FESTIVAL:
69 Euro/per person for 3 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
63 Euro/ per person for 3 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
89 Euro per person for 4 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
86 Euro/ per person for 4 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
119 Euro/per person for 5 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
115 Euro/ per person for 5 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
On your request, You can continue your stay in Ohrid. Price will be 20 euro per day per person FB – this is a special price that we can provide for the participants in festivals only. For additional days we will arrange a special program.
11.00 – 14.00 Arriving in Ohrid, hotel accommodation
14.00 – 16.00 Lunch in hotel and free activities (at the beach of Ohrid Lake)
19.00 – 21.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00 – Free night
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Ohrid Etno Museum (1 Euro), Ohrid sightseeing – cultural and historical monuments Samuil fortress (1 Euro), Antique theater, Plaosnik (1 Euro)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch in the hotel and free activities (swimming)
19:00 – Parade on the streets
19:30 – Official performance of the participants
21.00 – 22.00 Dinner in the hotel
23:00 -02:00 Disco party (2 Euros with one drink)
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the Hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Struga sightseeing – visiting cultural and historical monuments (river Crn Drim, House of the brothers Miladinovci, St. Kalista church, Vevchani – Vevchanski water sources) (1 euro)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch in the hotel
18.00 – 19.00 Parade through the streets
19.00 – 21.00 Festival evening (performance of the participants, certificates for the participants by the organizers, and at the very end of the festival participants can exchange gifts and contacts with each other)
21.30 – 23.00 Dinner in the hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
10.00. – 16.00 Cruising with boat on Ohrid Lake and visiting the Museum on water and the most famous tourist resort St. Naum – culture place, visiting the water sources of the Ohrid Lake, St. Naum monastery, little islands at the very place with restaurants, also, swimming at the beach. (The price for the boat cruise is 8 euros per person – lunch package by the hotel).
19.00 – 20.00 Dinner in the Hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the Hotel
12.00 – Departure of the participants