|Date:||21.07.2016 – 25.07.2016|
|Application Deadline:||20 July 2016|
Ohrid – City of Light…..A treasure among mountains
Ohrid has been a living town for two thousand and four hundred years, the legitimate descendant of the shining Lychida, a town whose achievements were woven into the tapestry of a powerful ancient civilization. The town of Ohrid is indeed the cultural history of the Republic of Macedonia in miniature.
– This city has a history of continuous human community life of 7000 years and is one of the oldest cities in the world, together with Jerusalem, Rome and Istanbul today. Ohrid is located at an altitude of 695 meters and is the biggest city on the shore of Lake Ohrid.
– In this old city you can find places, objects and churches dating back from prehistory, antiquity, early Christianity, Middle Ages, Islam…etc. Ohrid is the seat of the Macedonian Orthodox Church, (there are 365 churches in Ohrid and its region, one church for each day) a religious institution that was among the first who brought Christianity to Europe.
– Even though, throughout the centuries Ohrid was enslaved, destroyed by human hand and natural disasters, it became one of the most beautiful cities in Macedonia and Europe.
– As an Episcopal center in ancient times, and likewise through the widely renowned Ohrid archbishopric, the town has likewise through the centuries represented the entire ecclesiastical history of Macedonia.
It bears the name “The Balkan Jerusalem”.
– Trough the activity of St. Clement of Ohrid, at the end of 9th and the beginning of the 10th century the first pan – Slavonic university in Europe was situated here. Ohrid was the most important official capital of the first medieval Macedonian state, of Samuel’s empire.
– Ohrid is a literary center of Macedonia in the 19th century with the strong maxim of one of the greatest European intellectuals of that time, the native from Ohrid, Grigor Prlichev, so called “The Second Homer”: PERFECTION OR DEATH!
– Today Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist center of the Republic of Macedonia. It has about 45,000 inhabitants. The Old part of the city represents the history of Ohrid and the new part of the city represents the modern era, fulfilled with exiting night life and sandy beaches. And finally, as the crowning glory of its values, Ohrid and the Lake of Ohrid were declared a cultural and natural heritage site under protection of UNESCO since 1980!”
Nowadays, Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist center. During this period there are a lot of tourists from Holland, Finland, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Serbia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Turkey … Due to its exceptional beauty and culture heritage Ohrid Lake and Ohrid city is protected by UNESCO. Ohrid Lake is located in the extreme southwestern part of the Republic of Macedonia. This lake is one of the oldest tectonic lakes on the planet (it is about 3 million years old), along with The Baikal Lake in Russia, Tanganyika and Malawi in Africa and Titicaca in South America. It is one of those rare preserved ancient lakes in Europe.
Ohrid Lake is one of the largest and most important natural heritages in the world. The unique and endemic flora and fauna with many relic living forms make the lake rare but real natural “museum of living fossils”. There are a lot of hotels, apartments, a lot of traditional restaurants and café, shops, entertainment. Ohrid & Struga live for 24 hours a day during the summer period. Ohrid lake coast is 35km with beautiful sandy beaches, tourist attractions and entertainment. The temperature of the water in the lake is 25C degrees and it is suitable for swimming, diving, yachting …..
However, Ohrid is the only place in the world where 2 canonized saints actually lived in the same time – St. Clement of Ohrid (840-916) and St.Naum of Ohrid (830-910), putting an extremely strong stamp of their existence.
These 2 exceptional persons, the best students of Cyril and Methodius, were in fact the most educated persons in the world in their time. Among other achievements, they will always be remembered as establishers of the first University in Europe (893), located in Ohrid Old Town, long before the University in Bologna (1088)! Besides that, St. Clement and St.Naum of Ohrid were founders of the Cyrillic Alphabet. As a result of their creativity and incredible work, today more then 200 million people still use this alphabet, mostly in Southeast and Eastern Europe.
Ancient ruins, beautiful amphitheater, 3 citadel walls, St.Sofia Cathedral, St.Jovan Kaneo church, St.Naum monastery (one of the most beautiful monasteries in Macedonia and an important pilgrimage place. Breathtaking setting on a plateau over Ohrid Lake and Galicica mountain towering from behind. It was founded in the 910 by St.Naum, but the present-day church was built in the 16th c. Of the original church just the side chapel with the grave of St. Naum still stands), gallery of exclusive icons, museums, workshops for hand-made paper, woodcarving and famous Ohrid pearls, are among hundreds sites for tourists worth to visit.. More information on www.ohridinfo.mk www.ohrid.com.mk
The Cultural Art Association “OHRIGJANKA” from Ohrid is the organizer of The International Folklore Festival “Alexander the Macedonian” which will be held in Ohrid- Macedonia, in collaboration with International Folklore Festivals Ohrid Macedonia (IFFOM) and the Center of Culture ” Grigor Parlichev”- Ohrid. www.ohrigjanka.mk
The main purpose of the festival is to bring different cultures closer, through dances, music and interesting national costumes. The main idea of the organizers is to bring in Ohrid and to the festival, a variety of folk dances and national art groups from all around the world, so that the participants will have a possibility to meet new people, make new friendship relationships and also see the beauties of our town Ohrid and the Ohrid lake, which are under the protection of UNESCO. The idea of the festival is to develop new forms of communication in the international dialogue and international cooperation in the future.
CONDITIONS OF THE FESTIVAL:
– Folklore groups from all over the world
– The number of the participants is not limited.
– No age limits.
– Free parking during the festival time.
– Each country has to bring the flag from their country
– Gifts and Diploma for participation in the festival.
– Organization of the performances of the participants and the parade
– Organizers are providing free touristic guides for all excursions
– For a group of 25 people you will have 1 free-gratis
– We have our own internet television and the web site is www.iffom.com
– We have our own stage where concert performances take place.
– The festival is competitive and groups pay 100 euros for the ranking (non-obligatory)
PARTICIPATION FEE AND ACCOMMODATION:
69 Euro/per person for 3 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
63 Euro/ per person for 3 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
89 Euro per person for 4 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
86 Euro/ per person for 4 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
119 Euro/per person for 5 full-boards ( with 3 meals)
115 Euro/ per person for 5 half-boards ( with 2 meals)
On your request, You can continue your stay in Ohrid. Price will be 20 euro per day per person FB – this is a special price that we can provide for the participants in festivals only. For additional days we will arrange a special program.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE PARTICIPANTS:
1. Each group must consist of dancers, musicians, group managers and administration.
2. To prepare a program with duration from 15 to 20 minutes. (One performance with the duration of 15-20 minutes, or two performances, 12-15 minutes each)
3. To bring with them a flag of the country they represent.
4. Each group should bring at least 12 to 15 small gifts for exchange between the participating groups.
Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the groups. First Aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.
ADVERTISING OF THE FESTIVAL:
11.00 – 14.00 Arriving in Ohrid, hotel accommodation
14.00 – 16.00 Lunch in hotel and free activities (at the beach at Ohrid Lake)
19.00 – 21.00 Dinner in hotel
21.00 – Free night
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Ohrid Etno Museum (1 euro), Ohrid sightseeing – cultural and historical monuments Samuel’s Fortress (1 euro), Antique theater, Plaosnik (1 euro)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch in the hotel and free activities (swimming)
19:00 – Parade on the streets
19:30 – Official performance of the participants
21.00 – 22.00 Dinner in the hotel
23:00 -02:00 Disco party (2 Euros with one drink)
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the hotel
10.00 – 13.00 Sightseeing Struga – visiting cultural and historical monuments (river Crn Drim, House of the brothers Miladinovci, St. Kalista church, Vevchani – Vevchanski water sources, (1 euro)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch in the hotel
18.00 – 19.00 Parade through the streets of the city
19.00 – 21.00 Festival evening (performance of the participants, certificate for the participants by the organizers, and at the very end of the festival participants can exchange gifts and contacts with each other)
21.30 – 23.00 Dinner in the hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
10.00. – 16.00 Cruising with boat on Ohrid Lake and visiting the Museum on water and the most famous tourist resort St. Naum – culture place, visiting the water sources of the Ohrid Lake, St. Naum monastery, little islands at the very place with restaurants, also, swimming at the beach. (The price for the boat cruise is 8 euros per person – lunch package provided by the hotel).
19.00 – 20.00 Dinner in the hotel
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast in the hotel
12.00 – Departure of the participants